Monday, October 26, 2009

Yesterday

Went to the church yesterday. The Pastor asked prayer request for 2 persons.

Lee, is a nice lady who spend her time in Thailand just to help the poor children who are living in a slum area in Bangkok. I think she is around 70 years old. she is a delightful person to talk to and did a good job to the poor children.

She was diagnosed with a bile duct cancer and is leaving to US in this week to get a further treatment. One of the church members told us that her son in law is a doctor in USA. This is a good new. I hope and pray that "May our God has mercy and care to her in this difficult time." I know almost exactly what she is feeling. I dare to say it!!

One of my wish is...... if I live till 70, I will be so thankful to God after what I passed through with the nightmare time of my life. By 70, then I hope and I will see my son's graduation, dating, wedding and his career. Also if this is in God's willing, I will see my grand babies which I love to see so much and so looking forward into. I am praying... "Dear Christ, please help me!" Even if my prayer is not answered, I am still do know that my God knows the best for me. Then.....

Seeing Lee yesterday, I am sure that she does not want to die. she has her loveone on earth who she is still enjoying them. Anyway who wants to die right?? But... so far the only person that I know who is ready to die is my grand mama, a 92 years old happy lady! A lady who reads bible, prays and sings is the one happy to die. This is her answered when I asked how is she doing.... she said, "Oh do not worry about me, God is taking care of me. If I go, I go to see God." Good for you grandma!!

Khung Ping, Our church's cook is the other person. Hospital said they found tumor in him. I am thankful that Khung Ping has a place to stay and always has food on his dinner table. I am sure the church will taking care of him as he is with us for almost 20 years!! I hope it will be.

The following is I read from an article of "University of Southern Califonia, Department of Surgery". It is a bout Bile Duct Caner!!

I am not a doctor but I do have 2 eyes. If you are loosing weight and lost your appitite without reason please go see the doctor. Generally I notice that those who diagnosed with cancer..they look very thin! Oh well, when they found out my tumor, I was fat!! Remember I said, I am not a doctor!!

"What is bile duct cancer
Bile duct cancer or cholangiocarcinoma are tumors that occur in the bile duct. These are uncommon tumors and about 4,000 new cases are diagnosed in the United States each year. Bile duct cancer usually develops in patients older than 65 years old.

What symptoms are present in patients with bile duct cancer
The patient usually presents with the following symptoms
jaundice (yellowness of the skin)
abnormal liver tests
weight loss
abdominal pain
poor appetite
weakness and fatigue.

Types of bile duct tumors
Two major types of bile duct tumors are found

Distal bile duct tumors: tumors affecting the bottom half of the bile duct
Klatskin's tumors: Tumors affecting the upper part of the bile duct

This separation between the two locations is important since the treatment for the tumors in the two locations is different. For tumors affecting the bottom half of the bile duct, the cancer is removed with a Whipple operation. For tumors in the top half of the bile duct, surgical treatment often requires removal of the tumor together with a liver resection (removal) in an attempt to provide a surgical cure.

Distal bile duct tumors
These tumors arise in the bottom half of the bile duct and are often intimately associated with the pancreas since the bottom inch of the bile duct goes through the head of the pancreas as it enters into the duodenum.

Periampullary cancers
Patients with distal bile duct cancer presents with symptoms that are similar to that of pancreatic cancer and ampullary cancer. Distal bile duct tumors, pancreatic cancer and ampullary cancer are often called periampullary tumors because all three present with similar symptoms. It is important to recognize bile duct cancer and ampullary cancer since the outcome of the two cancers is better than that for pancreatic cancer when patients are compared stage for stage.

Diagnosis and staging of distal bile duct cancers
Once the diagnosis of bile duct cancer is made, the patient requires a work up for surgical removal of the tumor. The work up for distal bile duct cancer is similar to that for pancreatic cancer. This link will guide you to a detailed description of the work up at USC for bile duct cancer.

Treatment of distal bile duct cancer
Complete removal of the tumor is the only effective and potentially curative treatment for cancers of the lower bile duct. The treatment usually requires a Whipple operation. Distal bile duct cancer is more amenable to complete removal compared to pancreatic cancer. Five-year survival rates of up to 40% are found after complete removal of distal bile duct cancer. "

1 comment:

Helen said...

Scientists discover what triggers liver cancer

Sunday, October 25, 2009
Aflatoxin which is produced by mould on nuts and grains can trigger liver cancer if consumed in large quantities, besides endangering 4.5 billion of the world’s poor with its deadly effects, say scientists.

“It’s shocking how profoundly these moulds can affect public health,” said Sheryl Tsai, University of California-Irvine (UC-I) and lead study author.

In places like China, Vietnam and South Africa, the combination of aflatoxin and hepatitis B virus exposure boosts liver cancer risk by 60 times, and toxin-related cancer causes up to 10 percent of all deaths in those nations.

Tsai, students Tyler Korman and Oliver Kamari-Bidkorpeh, along with Johns Hopkins University researchers, found that a protein called PT is critical for aflatoxin to form in fungi. Previously, scientists didn’t know what prompted the toxin’s growth.

“The protein PT is the key to making the poison,” Tsai said. “With this knowledge, perhaps we could kill the PT with drugs, inhibiting the mould’s ability to make aflatoxin.”

Destroying the mould — rather than just the PT — is the traditional method of decontamination, but it’s expensive, costing hundreds of millions of dollars worldwide.

Aflatoxin can colonize and contaminate nuts and grains before harvest or during storage. The toxin wreaks havoc on a cancer-preventing gene in humans called p53.

Without p53 protection, aflatoxin can compromise immunity, interfere with metabolism, and cause severe malnutrition and cancer.

“This finding will lead to an increased understanding of how aflatoxin causes liver cancer in humans,” a UC-I