Sunday, September 21, 2008

Miracle 3 - Gordon Bridewell

Miracle..............................

As I mentioned in two blogs back, I want to blog about "Miracle"...Yes! I do believe in Miracle. I trust the Lord Jesus with his power of miracle! I believe in that Bible is the "The Words of God"...even I do not understand all of the meaning (I honestly admitted that I do not understand so much about old testament ), I just have faith!

I NO need to be explain, to argue, to mock, to questions and answer nor to discuss by some body to believe in God. I have no desire to do so. I just trust him . Do not think I do not have questions for God? Oh yes... I have plenty! Example: Why do children die, in mother's womb, live only 3 days? Why good people die early and left love one behind? Why young people die in horrible way? Why my mom and my sister die early with the same cancer? ...Why my liver's boy die so young and some are living with his body parts including me?....many many more questions! Well I know that for sure we all going to die some day but why different ways? (I will never judge those who die young are because of their act in past life or els..........It's not me to judge other). Yes I have questions but my faith will pull me through.

I am surely not going to answer all those above questions nor won't listen to those who talk like they know every thing about GOD!....because simply I or they do not know the answers. I will even NOT trying to answers as I can read God's mind or pretending that I know what God's plan is because I still have some growing up things to do each day .... I am not perfect but I trust him.

I just put my trust, my faith, my believing and my love in God no matter what! Am I blind? Yes.... for that I will be blinded happily forever!!

I also happily understand you agree or not agree with me, you believe in miracle or not...it doesn't matter God give all of us free will! It's all up to each's what ever you wish and believe.

I want to end with the following true story....

"A suicidal woman stood on a bridge in Seattle for 3 hours ready to jump. The situation created such a colossal traffic jam that some motorist, caught in the delay, began to curse the woman and screamed at her to jump. she did ....... and
she survived the 160 foot fall into a canal. Many residents later sent flowers and cards to her in the hospital, apologizing for what had happened. But some of the angry drivers phoned the local news paper and blamed the woman for not choosing a less traveled place to end her life!".............."

In this true story I am talking about only reactions....... I see two kind of reactions and two kind of people! Each situation has different attentions, just we want our own cherished plans or kind??? Up to you!

Every one might not believe in miracle but mostly want miracle! I found the following article from Google.



Gordon Bridewell

When Gordon Bridewell was being transported at top speed from the West Country on New Year's Eve 1975, to undergo a pioneering liver transplant, he was also travelling into the record books. For Gordon, who is now 59, has become the UK's longest surviving liver transplant patient and one of the world's top ten longest living liver transplant recipients.


The extraordinary chain of events began with a minor injury during a football match. "A tiny lump appeared on my leg and it ached when I walked any distance. I was keen on sport, so I went to my GP," says Gordon, from Devizes in Wiltshire.



After an operation to remove it, Gordon did not recuperate well from the anaesthetic. He started having blackouts and hallucinations, and one theory was that his liver had not filtered out the anaesthetic. He submitted to a long series of tests and questions: "But I wasn't jaundiced or bloated, I felt very fit." Before he could return to work with Wiltshire Police, where he was an engineer for their vehicle fleet, his GP recommended a precautionary visit to King's College Hospital in London, for further tests.


"At King's they did about 20 to 30 tests," says Gordon. "I wondered what I was doing there, I felt fine. Then the consultant told me what I had - a tumour on my liver."


The tumour was removed, but tests revealed a second tumour, which was inoperable. Now a liver transplant was proposed. "I was shocked. I hadn't come down from the ceiling with the news of the second tumour. I knew kidney transplants were being done but I'd not heard about liver transplants, except as a last resort, and mostly for elderly people," says Gordon, who was 30 then.


"It was a waiting game - I had four false alarms, arriving in London to find that the organs weren't compatible". Enquiries were even extended to the rest of Europe to find a suitable match. In December 1975, he was called for another potential transplant, and his police colleagues drove him to London in a police car. "At 6am, we reached Chiswick flyover, where the Metropolitan Police collected me, and took me to King's."


The 12-hour operation was led by Roy Calne (now Professor Sir Roy Calne), who performed the first liver transplant in Europe in 1968. Waking up immobile and attached to a host of tubes, Gordon was determined to get back on his feet, despite 30 external stitches and even more internal ones. He has nothing but praise for all the support and skill of the team involved in his transplant.


He recovered well and returned to work with Wiltshire police after 13 months: "Two hours a day with a pocketful of tablets - those hours were like a lifetime," he says. "I still had a tube attached to me to take out bile, until the new liver functioned properly, and I had to empty it two or three times a day. The Force was very good to me and understanding - I didn't realise how good, until I looked back."


Sport was soon back on Gordon's agenda and in 1980 he trained for the Ross-on-Wye 100 mile raft race and became the first transplant patient to do it. Over the years he has also counselled people from around the world to help them prepare for their liver transplant.


Gordon is grateful to his donor and proud to be the longest surviving liver transplant patient: "It makes me honoured and privileged. Every New Year's Eve it all floods back and I always celebrate. I'm so glad to be here."



"The operation changed my whole life - I'd only been given five months when the suitable liver became available. I talk to many people about being a donor and ask them what if your son or daughter needed an organ transplant?"


Gordon thinks his "mad sense of humour" has played a part in helping him keep well, but it would take a lot to beat his first full meal after his operation: "I was really looking forward to it and the nurse lifted the lid and gasped ‘I can't give you this!" It was liver and onions.

No comments: