Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Miracle 1

NOTE: You can stop reading now if you are not believing in Miracle!!

These days I will blog, cancer survivor true stories. I know there is always good and bad are side to side, always. Cancer, the same thing come the result with survivors and dead. I give respect to those cancer patients, who fight and never give up. I repect to those believe in miracle and those only beleive in science too.

The story of Fay Polson is a miracle for me. She fought that liver cancer, read it you couldn't believe it that how she won the cancer! Some do not believe in God's miracle, they believe in Luck. That's fine! what ever the luck mean to you. Every one talking by own experience but for me ...Prayers works and miracle is there! I often ask to myself ...why the same medicine, the same surgery, the same treatments but work for some but fetal to other?? Yes I know some are answering.....depend on how well your body accepting the treatments!! Then the next question I am asking to myself is why your body did not accept as other does?? Let me share with a bibile verse with you today.............

"A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps"
Proverbs 16:9

Fay Polson
Learn More About Our Cancer Survivors:


Toward the end of 1996, I was looking forward to retirement after working for 22 years. I had been to the doctor several times about the pressure I felt in my abdomen. Then a raised place came up over my liver, and the doctor told me I needed a CT scan. The scan revealed a large tumor. He wanted to do a biopsy and I agreed to have one the next day. When they put the mirror in the incision they found that the tumor had grown onto my liver and had ruptured it. After telling me I only had a few months to live, unless we got this
liver cancer under control, they sent me with my files across the street to a local hospital.

After looking at my scan, the doctor sat down and had a short conversation with us. My husband, Bob, and daughter, Sheryl, were with me. The doctor said he thought we could do direct chemo to the liver and try to shrink the tumor. But he said I only had a 50/50 chance. I was scared and didn’t know what to do. Because of his heart, our daughter’s husband had gone to Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA) to use the radiation pellet implant to treat his prostate cancer. They were so pleased with CTCA and the service they received, Sheryl said we should go out to the center for a second opinion. The call was made and we got in almost immediately. By this time, my abdomen was so large I had to wear a maternity top.

From the day I walked into Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Tulsa, I knew that it was where I wanted to be. Everyone was so very friendly and warm. And, we did not have to sit in the waiting room for hours!

I saw Dr. Hans Nevinny. I cannot tell you how pleased we were with him. He hugged me and he hugged my husband and talked with us forever explaining what kind of treatment I would have. Then I saw Dr. Jimmie Crow, who was one of the surgeons at that time. He told us he wanted to save just one-fourth of the liver since the liver regenerates itself. If you could only know what a blessing I had just received! Until this point, I thought I was going to be dying in about three months, leaving my family, small grandchildren and all my wonderful friends. Words cannot explain the feeling. I had just been granted some more years.

On February 14, 1997, I had my first surgery. The tumor weighed 3 ½ pounds. Since my husband had wanted to see the tumor, Dr. Crow decided to carry it out in a bucket into the waiting room. After Bob looked at it, all the rest of the family wanted to see it too. I had a long six weeks trying to recover from this first surgery, as the tumor had zapped all of my minerals, from my body, and the nutritionist said I was severely malnourished. She gave me several things that I had to take every day, besides drinking Ensure. And I saw her every time I came in to see the doctor. She would always look at my charts and see how much I had improved. And if I needed other things, I would take them too. Also after my surgery, someone who came to see me at home must have had a stomach virus because I became very ill and had to be hospitalized again to take care of this. I had a long time recovering from this surgery.

In May of 1997, I took my first chemo treatment. My body was in good shape by then and I did not have any trouble with the chemo. I had radiation treatments along with the chemotherapy. It was not a chore for me to come out every day for chemo and radiation. There were so many wonderful people to talk and visit with, especially two men who were so much fun that everyone wanted to be in the room they were in. We did a lot of laughing every day.

In exactly one year, another tumor appeared in my liver. Once again there was surgery and all went well again. I only had to stay a week this time. And one of the wonderful things about CTCA is that they let Bob stay with me, every night, even in ICU. The people are just so wonderful at CTCA.

In the latter part of 2000, I had yet another tumor in my liver. This time they did four different ablations to try to destroy it, followed by two alcohol injections and two heat treatments. When the CT scans showed I still had the tumor, I once again faced surgery. Dr. Crow said that there were two tumors, one on top of the other. The injection treatments had destroyed the top tumor, but not the bottom one. The surgery was successful and it was my last one. My follow-up visits with my oncologist have all been with good results.

I just cannot explain how well I did with the wonderful help of the doctors and staff at Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA). Along the way, Bob and I have met many people and tried to visit them at CTCA as often as we could. They are always so glad to see a person that has a successful cancer story. What a marvelous blessing we have received! If I had not come to CTCA, I know I would not be alive today. Thanks to their outstanding care, I am cancer free.

No comments: