Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Exchange Rate

I do not want to talk about Money so much but sometime..... yes... We all need to talk about money time to time whether you like it or not. Well here I am going to talk about money but only about ..."Exchange Rate" !!

6 year ago when we came to Bangkok the exchange rate of US$ to Thai Baht is 1$=45B. I went crazy as coming from Guatemala, Belize where Robins was building the shrimp farm. I felt Bangkok was very reasonable. I spent money like monkey but still left over every month. Quezales, The Guatemala money is quite stable not much up and down (like Hong Kong Dollar, some how not much change). Belize Dollar is hock with US$ almost one to one. My Surprise is ...there was nothing that I can do in Belize. Things are expensive, on top of that nothing to do there. Population there is same as Gainesville in Florida. The only place I can spent my money was all the hotels along Placencia because there when my son and I spent all day long by the Caribbean Sea and ate hot dog (sometime rice and bean with banana fry) !!!If I say a hot dog cost 7$, believe me in that!

Let me talk about how we lived in Belize.... (by the way the shrimp farm at Belize is the most beautiful farm I had ever been. The Owner built own air strip in the farm). The farm was mostly built by Memonitoes (in Spanish), I think in English Memonites?? (my spell??). They are from Canada origin and we visited to their town in Belize which call Blue Creek. I was amaze the way they live (Remember I was in Hong Kong for 4 years before headed to Central America). I like Blue Creek!!! I can stay there as a simple life!! (for sure Paris Hilton won't survie there and the Momonitoes are happy that she is not with them also). I saw so many Blondie and blue eyed girls and boys, actually all over the whole town. Food, milk, cheese are good there!! If you live there, you no need to were Prada, Gucci, Pucci or whatever... You can stay there with a long skirt dress like Mary Poppins's dresses!!! They built everything by themselves and they have everything except branded dresses and make up shops.

My big problem in Belize is shopping for grocery. If you forget something, you are a dead meat situation....Because you have to drive one hour go and one hour back to the nearest Grocery Store. So sometime we were so tired and forgot toilet paper, think about it??? I remember that how many Robin's office paper are gone for a month to wipe?? and ...how many times my yard man needed to burn the office paper off??

OK back to Exchange Rate! I usually thought as Thai Bath is 32=1US$ now, I thought Thai Bath is stronger..... but Robins explain to me is that's does not always mean Thai bath or Guatemala Quezales or Belize dollar are stronger than US$. Robins explain to me many times but I do not really understand 100%. Well I know it's count on evey conner of econonic!! I think US$ are so bad because of the "BUSH". I am not a money maker nor investor nor worrier. I just happy if I have money in my pocket and forget about Exchange Rate!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That must have been a resort Hot Dog, cause a hot dog from the Hot Dog vendor is $2.50bz, that's $1.25 US. Which is pretty reasonable if you ask me.

Helen said...

Thanks for your comment! I want to know Ms. Lola the painter in Placencia. Can you tell me how's she?? I like her painting!