Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The pig and my family

I gain 3 lbs from Christmas to New Year, of course from eating, eating and eating!!!

My mother side of cousin, they killed one pig for just Robins, Shan and me on Christmas day. Some parts of on this Earth, especially Shan, Chinese, Lahu or Akha people, they think killing a pig or a cow to feed the family and friends are normal and honor. Some of my mother's side family are still living in out of date years but the good news is some of them are very educated. They are Doctors, PhD (not from Burma, from England so....Can say a good PhD??), Msc, some are holding 3 degrees but they are still very understanding on "Killing a pig or a cow for family to eat." The uneducated families who has load of money but love to kill, they believe in that killing a pig yourself is better and the meat is more fresher than you buy from the market!!! ( which is true on that point of view, the "Freshness!!)

Before we went to the cousin's house they called and said, "Oh if you wish we can kill a cow for you". I told them, "Nooooooooooooooooo!". By the way, I love the way northern part of people cook!

When we arrived, they just copped the pig head off and keep it in the huge bowl. Shan (my only child who is very City boy), was looking around the yard and taking photos. After he saw that pig's head, he came and sat next to me and whispering to my ears...."Mom, I am not going to eat that pig and don't even try to feed me." Indeed my son was so rude on that Christmas Lunch table because he was not
touching that pig at all. He ordered my cousin's cook to buy a pan cake for him! This is what American boy does?? Very straight forward and sometime slightly rude!!

PS. The reason why my cousin keep the pig head in the bowl as show case is because they want us to know that they do kill a fresh pig to honor me, Robins and Shan. There is NOT to show cruelty at all! (in their point of view). Actually Robins, Shan and me must see the dead pig head with smiling face and say clearly to them, "Thank you!". Dare to think here that your culture are better than those who chop the pig head off for good intention.

On the way back I asked Shan, "Why don't you eat that pig? Shan said, "Mother, did you see the pig head? It is full of Hair". I told him, "Toooooo bad Shan, they do not have tweezers to plug the hair out for you! You do have hair too so what the different???" Shan goes.."Ha ha ha ha!"

To be fair to my Shan.... Yes it is abit out of deliciousness to see the dead pig's head and shortly after, you have to eat that pig. For them is OK because it might be day to day thing but for Shan and Robins this is very strange.

Well.... when in the beginning of my USA years, I do see lots of different things of my understanding too. Now is OK, I would careless!! Here are some examples...............

-When I see two people kissing like no one around them, I do feel shy!
-When my white family members fart freely at home I was shock and thought "How Dare!!!"
-When my mother in law keep saying "One Serving is good for you!"
I talked to myself, "Well... this is my body, If fat not her body it is mine!" I will never say that to my future daughter in law in order to avoid of misunderstanding but now I eat careful and thanks to my mother in law for I am not that FAT!!
-When I go to the hospital the first thing they asked is "Do you have Insurance!" I thought this is very unmerciful!
-When someone called me "babe" or "Chic" I thought because I am yellow and less of respect to me. Now I want people call me babe or chic!! Fine with me.

Oh so many to list but can't remember right now!

My point is hope my cousin understnad that why my son did not eat their pig !!! Over all.... we do have a good Christmas!!

No comments: