Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Food and The Cancer

After alittle over a year stayed in Gainesvill Florida, I was heading back to Bangkok Thailand with my new liver. Before I left I asked my doctor what food should I avoided. My GI doctor told me, "You can eat everything but moderate."

I am not a doctor but I agree with his answer. So far the reports of any researches which I read, most of the time they used the word of "MAY", which is mean between "yes or no". So "Moderate" is the best to answer.

As I read in American Cancer Society's web.."Cancer is beyond human control", Damn right... who dare to put above the almighty, the creator???

See the bellow article which I was reading last nigh. It's also said.."Food that may cause cancer"! Why can't they say..."Food that cause cancer!" Because they are not sure. They knew the refult is between the line of Yes or No!. I would put the word as my own... its should be, "Yeo"!!

The best way for me is..... I just prayed with faith, "Thank you Lord for the food. Amen." and I eat within moderate as my doctor told me. But.....remember here you have a brain. God puts a brain in your head so....there must be a huge reason for that. Pray first and then use your brain!! As I like to say, "God gives you medicine but God won't drive the car for you to the pharmacy."

So my case, I totally avoid alcohol and smoking! I was good since I was young on those. I tried both alcohol and smoking as fashion but nothing suit my taste at all. So I dropped the alcohol and smoking and heading to the make up and clothing fashion. Think it back, I even do not like cheese, cake nor bread! I was hugging on my rice. I love rice.

OK read on my own view on the following article.
The Red colour is my view.

FOODS THAT MAY CAUSE CANCER. . .

ACRYLAMIDE
Found in baked, fried and grilled foods such as crisps, chips, bread, biscuits, crackers, and breakfast cereals. Prolonged high intakes of acrylamide could cause nerve damage, and, according to animal studies, affect male fertility and trigger cancer.


The Swedish study was the first to suggest that it is formed when carbohydrate-rich foods such as potatoes, rice and cereals are fried or baked (acrylamide was not formed when the foods were boiled).
In fact, researchers found that a bag of crisps may contain up to 500 times more acrylamide than the World Health Organisation allows as a maximum safety limit in drinking water. Some fries from fast-food chains were said to contain up to 100 times more.

It is impossible to avoid acrylamide because it's found in so many everyday foods - and not just fatty crisps and fries. Healthy foods that we feed to the whole family such as Ryvita, rice cakes, branflakes, Special K and wholemeal bread, are all tarred with the acrylamide brush.

Risk factor: Fortunately, our estimated daily intake is 1,000 times lower than the amounts found to cause nerve damage and affect fertility in rats.

But the FSA is clear that since acrylamide is a potential cancercausing agent, it shouldn't be in our food, and certainly not at these levels. Meanwhile, their advice is to limit fried and fatty foods and eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, as these steps are known to help protect our health and reduce cancer risk.

-I was shock to read the rice cake and cereals is not so good!! I like some cereals. I do not know what is acrylamide is but if this is not good why people keep putting on food???

HETEROCYCLIC AMINES
People who eat large amounts of red meat (pork, beef and lamb), barbecued and processed meat, such as sausages, bacon and hamburgers are at a higher risk of bowel cancer, according to a report in the British Medical Journal.


A potential culprit is heterocyclic amines which are formed on the surface of meat when it's grilled, roasted, fried or barbecued - especially when burned or charred.

Risk factor: Although animal studies suggest that high intakes of heterocyclic amines can promote cancer, there is no direct evidence in humans. But it makes sense to minimise any risk.

In 1998, the Department of Health advised that we should not exceed an average of 140g (5oz) of red and processed meat a day.

-OK I think I talk about red meat in one of my old blogs. I was told by a PhD. that the fat free meat is ok and also the way cooking is the point. BBQ is not so good for us.

SALT
A high salt diet has been linked to an increased risk of stomach cancer. It is thought the salt, in foods like bacon, can damage and inflame the soft lining.


Fortunately, this type of cancer has decreased since refrigeration replaced more traditional preserving methods, such as pickling and salting.

Improved treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection, a condition that inflames the stomach lining, has also helped. About three quarters of the salt we eat comes from processed foods, especially smoked, canned, pickled items, sauces, fast-food and ready meals.

Risk factor: The Department of Health advises cutting back to no more than 6g a day - which is about half of what we currently eat - to reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke.

The World Cancer Research Fund says this may also have an effect on stomach cancer risk.

-Salt is not trouble for me. I can eat with very little salt too. I am more concer about the MSG than salt. I do have this feeling of heavy weighted head after eating the food with full of MSG. In my house I do not use it.

CALCIUM IN DAIRY FOODS
A study from Harvard School of Public Health of 21,000 men confirmed previous links between high intakes of dairy foods and an increased risk of prostate cancer. In the study this meant more than
2.5 daily servings of dairy foods, a serving being a 250ml glass of milk or 40g (1.5oz) of cheese.


The authors suggest that a high calcium intake from dairy products may lower blood levels of D3, a hormone thought to protect against prostate cancer.

Risk factor: This study does not show cause and effect, and other research has shown no link. Meanwhile, to help ensure an adequate calcium intake, healthy eating advice is to include a moderate amount of dairy foods in our balanced diet.

-Hummmm... you see! you see! I told you moderate is the best thing to say and to eat on even good food. I can live without dairy but not my son thought.

HEAT
A number of studies link very hot drinks such as tea or coffee with increased risk .

Could coffee cause cancer?
of cancer of the oesophagus.


Risk factor: The heat is thought to inflame and scar the lining of the oesophagus making it more vulnerable to cancer cell development.

- This is a bit shock for me to read, "Heat" cause cancer? either Hot coffee or Tea?? I have a hard time to believe in it. Most people like to drink hot coffee. On coffee, the researcher confuse me a big time. Sometime I read the coffee is good for the cancer and sometime cancer is bad as the same on egg. So I go for "Moderate"!! I drink coffee a cup per day in the morning. That's enough for me.

ALCOHOL
A consistently high alcohol intake is linked to increased risk of cancer of the mouth, oesophagus, bowel, liver and breast.


In fact, an American study which followed the lifestyles of more than 200,000 women for 14 years found that for postmenopausal women, less than a drink a day was related to a 30 per cent increase in death from breast cancer, compared to nondrinkers.

Risk factor: UK sensible daily drinking limits are set at 3 to 4 units for men and 2 to 3 units for women (a unit is a pint of beer, small glass of wine or pub measure of spirits), and above these limits there is a continuing risk to health.

-I do have a hate relationship with alcohol so I am ok. lately I have read about the alcohol and the breast cancer even with a very littel amount can cause the bad.

FAT
In fatty meats, full-fat dairy foods, cakes, snack and fast-foods, biscuits and pastries.

Evidence directly linking fat to cancer risk is inconclusive, but highfat diets are more clearly linked to obesity, which may be responsible for 5 per cent of all cancers.

Risk factor: Obese women are particularly prone to cancer of the uterus, cervix, ovary, gall-bladder and breast, while overweight men have an increased risk of colorectal and prostate cancers.
Severely obese people may also be at increased risk of kidney, pancreatic and stomach cancer.

-Here is my weak point. I love fat food but my fat food was like curry. I love spicy sausages. Yeah..curry is full of oil and not good but I do eat with "moderate'.


AFLATOXINS
Found on peanuts and grains, aflatoxins are a type of fungus that increases the risk of liver cancer. They are produced by moulds on foods such as nuts, cereals, and spices, especially in tropical countries.


Risk factor: The EU has set safety limits for aflatoxin content of imported foods, but since it is not visible, contaminated produce occasionally slips through the net.

However, the FSA considers that consumption of a very small amount of aflatoxin on a single occasion is unlikely to cause ill effects.

-Let me share with you this. Right after my liver transplant what I love to eat is only peanut butter toast. A woman who did not like bread nor butter was eating it every day! I remembered that I eat lots of peanut butter toast and multi berry juice.

It happened to me once before transplant. During my 3rd and 4th month of my pregnancy, I ate Swiss Cheese Toast almost everyday too. Remember I do not like cheese nor bread. My son was born at 10 lbs!! Damn cheese made me end up with C-cession! I can eat them like a rat but not like white people eating.

Click below to discover the foods that could help prevent cancer.
More information: www.wcrf-uk.org, www.cancerhelp.org.uk, www.foodstandards.gov.uk. The Super Nutrients Handbook by Lyndel Costain. Dorling Kindersley, 2001 (£5.99).


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-115696/How-safe-favourite-foods.html#ixzz0drXezYS6

I will finish with a prayer...

"Dear God,

Thank you for the food. No matter how much money we have without thy creation of the light, the air, the rain, and the sun..... there will be no food to buy.

Please bless our daily food to nourish our body to live, grow and be healthy.

In Christ I pray,
Amen."

2 comments:

Stomach cancer symptoms said...

Stomach cancer is also called as gastric cancer. It develops in the tissues that line the stomach. Some of its symptoms are discomfort in stomach, feeling fullness even after eating small portion meal, weight loss, feeling like vomiting etc. The reason for stomach cancer is still unknown by many doctors, so if one observes the symptoms of it, should immediately consult doctor.

Helen said...

Thank you so much for your comment! Please continue sharing with me what ever you know or heard about cancer.

Thank you very much!
Helen