Monday, August 17, 2009

Tithing

Suki is my Korean friend who I met her in Guatemala. She and her husband own two garment factories in there. I like her a lot. She is one of my sincere friends, no pretending, no pride, no high nose, no high butt and no show off. She just lives as lovely "Suki". Their factories supply to the JC Penny and Cherokee what ever they ordered.

Suki is much much better Christian than me (I just felt it just seeing her). There is a Korean Church in Zona 10 in Guatemala which Suki attending almost every weeks. Once a week she will go to the church early morning just to go pray there...I mean 530 am!!

One day Suki was having evening tea with me at my apartment and this is what she asked me out of the blue moon....."Helen what do you think about of 10 percent tithing? Do you offering 10 % too? For 1 minute I did not know how to answer to her.

Thinking back I should shut my mouth at that time but I opened my mouth, as usual, this is what I told her....."Suki if you tithe 10 percent is OK but if you not, is OK too. What I think is, God only see what inside of your heart"....and I even told her about poor old lady and 2 nickels story of in the bible. I told Suki...."The poor old lady gave more than 10%. She gave all, everything what she has. Christ is please with her." Then I told Suki, "Suki agian if someone even who give 10% tithing after many thinking is not good either."

God bless me in many ways but without ling here I say..."I do not offer 10%". I have no gut to lie you about it. We do our own way of offering. I excuses lots of reasons why I couldn't tithe 10%, yet I had no problem or trouble spending any amount at the mall!! That's why I admitted that I am not perfect....I am bad!

For an example: This holiday I saw a shoes which I really like it. So beautiful and so wanted. I tough and tough and think and think whether I should get it or not!! Actually I think only 2 minutes then I bought that Ralph Lauren shoe for 320$. ( I know it is very ugly to put the money on but I just want to share how my heart works some time.....UGLY!!!). OK if you want to hear my excuse, here is my excuse.."I did not do that all the time!!!"

Then somehow to day I think about Suki, a woman who not only tithed 10 % but love Christ! I had seen hers joy and happy in God. I felt shame!!

I learn something that tithing is not a thing that you must do but sincerely a way of showing that we love God. God does not need money at all but God needs to see his children's hearts (with 10% tithe or without). Actually the Church is the one needs the money in order to maintain the church building, electricity, water, flowers, for employers payment, charity works to the poor countries etc........ Yes! our church needs the offering.

This is what I saw in Suki when thinking about her.......within 10 years in Guatemala, I saw she needs to open another factory in order to meet the asking quantity of JC Penny, her two daughters growing up so beautifully, one studying in USA and the other one is in Italy for art work, she has no problem with money, her husband loves her and respect her too. She has a wonderful family that she is very proud of it. Suki was blessed!!

I will never say that Suki has happy life because of her 10% tithing. I won't say that because simply I do not know how God's work in Suki's life but I know one thing for sure that God knows Suki loves God!

I will finish with this...................

"Honor the Lord with your substance and with the first fruits of all your produce; then your barns will be filled with plenty"
Proverbs 3:9-10

2 comments:

Russell Earl Kelly said...

Do not fall for the false scam about tithing. It is not for the church. And firstfruits were never the same as tithes either. For much more see www.tithing-russkelly.com

Helen said...

Dear Dr. Kelly,

Thank you so much for your comment and sharing too. I read your essay about tithing. I am a person who loves Christ and I always believe in that tithing base on "clear heart" not a "must". As you mention, I asked a question to myself many times that how could the poor and needy will offer for 10%! Without a doubt God loves us all.

I see now the different between tithes and firstfruits too!

I think Church needs the money (not all but some from offering). May I ask you some questions...
-Where the money come from for maintainent of the church?
-With which money paying for Pastors's daily needs?
-From which money that Churches offering for thoese spreading the good news around the world?

I will see more into your site!

Thank you,
helen