Monday, March 15, 2010

Misquoting Dinner?

NOTE: I am not a teacher, a preacher nor an author. I am just a believer with limited English.

Had a nice dinner on last Saturday night at very good Korean Restaurant on Sukhunvit soi (19). As always.. the conversation was boring for me, about Shrimps, Fish and Water Quality. But, till Bill brought up about the book call "Misquoting Jesus" by Bart Ehrman. Back 2 months ago Bill sent me a note that I should read this book. I pay so little attention on that book. Now this time he did mention again so I search about the book on Google, the place that I got my PhD to myself.

The following is what I found..........., actually many views on this book! Here is one of the views on Bart's book By: Daniel B. Wallace.


"Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why? "

"Bart Ehrman is one of North America’s leading textual critics today. As a teacher and writer, he is logical, witty, provocative, and sometimes given to overstatement as well as arguments that are not sufficiently nuanced.

His most recent book, Misquoting Jesus, for the most part is simply New Testament textual criticism 101. There are seven chapters with an introduction and conclusion. Most of the book (chs. 1—4) is simply a lay introduction to the field. According to Ehrman, this is the first book written on NT textual criticism (a discipline that has been around for nearly 300 years) for a lay audience.

The book’s very title is a bit too provocative and misleading though: Almost none of the variants that Ehrman discusses involve saying by Jesus! The book simply doesn’t deliver what the title promises."

"In sum, Ehrman’s latest book does not disappoint on the provocative scale. But it comes up short on genuine substance about his primary contention. Scholars bear a sacred duty not to alarm lay readers on issues that they have little understanding of.

Unfortunately, the average layperson will leave this book with far greater doubts about the wording and teachings of the NT than any textual critic would ever entertain. A good teacher doesn’t hold back on telling his students what’s what, but he also knows how to package the material so they don’t let emotion get in the way of reason. A good teacher does not create Chicken Littles."


For me this book is a good hand book for the Atheists. The Author thinks or may be still thinking more about how to make money than to tell the truth. He is a man most people will say..."Half true but mix with lots of @#$% of his own."

Every time if I ever change my mind on my believing when I watch movies or read such similar books about Jesus, I would be the biggest Atheist woman in this world. But, I am not!! I knew who I am.I have no doubt about Jesus and his teaching. I am the follower.

I am so surprise though. Why some people has more doubt on Bible than this man?? Why someone thinks Wowww this misquoting Jesus book is wonderful or good than Bible??? Have you ever think about that, this Mr. Barthead's book wouldn't be born without the Holy Bible??? Is he misused the Christianity and to fill up his pocket??? Is he so screwed up in his head that he mix up to showing off his ability (which is from the brain that God gives to him), with thrusting in God??

Said, Bart, the author is a born again Christian. I think he needs double born again or dump him in the water twice. Born again Christian has no doubt on bible. Do not mix with trust and stupid. Christian was not told to be stupid.

If you want me to say I will say this. In the bible..

1. When Jonah was staying in the wale's belly for 3 days.

2. When God parted the sea for Moses and people.

3. When Christ heals the blind to see and the lame to walks.

4. When Christ raised the dead.

5. When Christ has victory on dead.... many lists go on!!!!!

Seen to me and to you all these sound are not possible but I believe, nothing is impossible with my God. Because God is God, you and I are not God.

I want to finish this blog with ...

"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. He which testifieth these things saith, surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."

Revelation 22:18-21

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look him up!



http://www.bartdehrman.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_D._Ehrman

From France said...

Just reading now "the gun seller" book is fun and in a way disturbing ... Then after that i ll tead the books on the Tudor of sansom... This is a crossroad in england history , very interesting to see how rules are done by one who think only abt his ego...
Got some news ....
Found a job in the fashion business... Just working on puter and taking calls...and am fine with it... Work is intetesting and people nice...
Writte u later and much more to say...
Love
Big hug sister

Anonymous said...

I did read bartdehrman.com and feel that one of those Da Vinci code! Self ego, following fame and material and also..... A man trying to put himself in the place of Christ.

Bart, the most famous "Chicken Little"??? If I could, I do have many questions for him.

Helen said...

Alor Myriam,

Tot bon? Sons fills? Ou est? Ce bon noticio por vous!! Je pone, Vouzes tre' tre' content ah!

choo,
Helen

Helen said...

Here is someone just put it on the FaceBook! I love it!
Helen


....... that it's time you let go. Yes, of course, you want to control so everything happens in just the way you want it. But at the end of the day, we control nothing, - it's all in God's hands, - has always been, and will always be. So, do what you can, and then let go, and let God handle the rest.

Helen said...

Ben Witherington's blog is time to time I go into and read. I like his blog a lot! And see here what I found..........

Ben Witherington said:

"I am however glad Bart is honest about his pilgrimage. If only he could be equally honest and admit that in his scholarship he is trying now to deconstruct orthodox Christianity which he once embraced, rather than do 'value-neutral' text criticism. In my own view, he has attempted this deconstruction on the basis of very flimsy evidence-- textual variants which do not prove what he wants them to prove."

Anonymous said...

Dr. Ehrman was a strong believer -- the way you are --for a long time. Then he did a lot of research while working on his Ph.D. at Princeton University. As you say, now he is an agnostic but I believe, NOT an atheist. I am curious about his writings and will try to get some of his books from the library. I am taking part in a study group at First Methodist Church. It's called "Science and Religion". You would like it. It's at night but a friend picks me up and gives me a ride. I no longer drive at night.

Helen said...

Hi Yes, I gathered that Bart was a Christian and now Agnostic. I will say... he should be an Atheist.

Atheists believe NO God! Period. They know who they are. But Agnostic as he is means he knows there is a powerful devine but did not know who, what and W? W? W?

He is in the stage of.... "Well there is something I know but I could not find it or I can't prove it!"

Anonymous said...

The points you made are very clear and the commentary you put together is very useful.

I wish I have time to read the book, but I don't think it will affect my brief even after I read the book. Our God is awesom!

From Florida said...

I think is interesting. It's good

Anonymous said...

The subject you shoot is quite interesting! I am not a scholar, critic or that religious person. But coincidently, today's (3/16/10) daily devotional guide (Upper Room) gives us strength to have faith in God. You might have it but in case if you want electronically please see at http://www.upperroom.org/ (Psalm 139:4)

Houston, Texas said...

You know what! I see people these days especially the critics and scholars are like "blind pon-nas that we learned at elementary (don't know what to call in English - Indian guru???) who touched Elephant's any part of the body and made conclusion of what elephant looked like.

Helen said...

Hello Houston

I do remember that elementary English! How true the way you said about the blind but in this case the man was not blind and the elephant was very visible and huge but still can't figure it out what it is??