Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Shan Sopranos

As most of you all know I was born in Shan State. The place which is full of..... if you allow me to say.... a place with Shan's mountains, Shan's flowers, Shan's food, with Shan's trees and Shan people!!! of course full of guns, but not Shan's guns at all. Also by that time, full of wars fighting between Shan Army and the Burmese Army and the Drug Dealers. 25 years before things that I saw I have a different point of views ...now years after, I have changed. I should say now I can see thing like, how could I say???....OK kind of if you are in Rome, act as Roman!!
I remember the day that the Drug Dealer came to shoot at my friend's father (this is one of the many things happened in my home town), His name is "Pi Leik"...mean "Brother Small"!! OK this was happened 30 years ago. He is a middle class as my father. Pi Leik has this.... a car I think a jeep car running between the airport and Thachileik town. He had that habit, every evening he was sitting on the easy lay back bamboo chair and smoking a cigar with a glass of "Mae Kong Run".

One late afternoon, a speeding jeep car (at that time mostly people used jeep car because the road condition was Stone age Road and so bad that no one FAT in Shan State because the roads not allowed to fat so!! we all were like ridding horses), passed by and here a bag full of rocks, throw into Pi Leik's yard right next to him where he was smoking! After that event, within one year Pi Leik built huge good looking house which is make my daddy's house look so small and so ugly! He bought another 6 jeep cars to expend his transportation, his daughter got diamonds, gold and the expensive clothes...so did Pi Leik's wife who was starting vacation all over the places. He even bought a house in Bangkok!!Sudeenly town people like to make friends with Pi Leik and his family...Money starting to Talks!!! Oh I also remember that he opened up a huge car workshop! etc......

After 2 years...One evening we heard that bang..bang..bang..bang. (you have to smart to live in Shan State. If you heard that kind of noise, you better stay at home and pray!).. Next early morning, the town news was "Pi Leik" DEAD!!! Yes..he die such a ugly way but normal for my home town.....as "You cheat, You dead!" Here I have to tell you..we did not have good law, good lawyer, by the way what is Lawyer?? but we did have a good judgement!! Do you see the point that to kill Pi Leik, it's take 2 years??? why 2 years which is can be done in 3 days?? We might have kind drug dealers???

A group of drug dealer bought raw Jades from Kachin State, Burma. The car that delivered the Jade bag was caught in check point but did not stop. The Burmese soldier chased later we heard no arresting as the bag was gone. What happened was.....someone came back to Pi Leik asking to give back the Jade. Pi Leik blindly lied and said "me no have"...He got shot at "blindly" and he die as "blindly"!! Greedy and Lie got him good. He would be alive if he gave back the bag and also he would be wealthier a little bit but not as his life was gone and got much wealthier. He cut the raw jade and was as a big lottery winner. It was a huge imperial Jade!!

"The Sopranos" of Hollywood's is nothing...I was living in a town as "The Shan Sopranos" for many years with many dead!

NOTE: This events was happened 30 years ago!





No comments: